Category Archives: Radio Show

Tumbling to the Tune: Progress Week 2

This week my group got a jump start on our work. We had everything from our plot to our segments planned out before break, and today was our deadline for getting our own audio portions sent in to the two who are compiling and editing it all together. It’s in their hands now, but I’m sure they’re going to do great!

I had the pleasure of writing the plot of this whodunnit for our mystery murder show, which turned out to just be a short script outlining the general events of the day. I may publish that after the show is complete, if anyone is interested. Hopefully you guys can guess what happened before the big reveal!

My own personal recording session was a bit more work than I had intended. The talking portion went just fine, but I had decided that I wanted to record my own piano for the background, which was a challenge; I know some chords, but that’s about it. I spent twenty minutes recording the entirety of an improvised piano set and opted to just listen to it and cut it up in Audacity. Roughly two hours later I had some semblance of something that I thought sounded okay in the background of the segment, but I saved an audio file with just my talking in case it wouldn’t work for the show.

If you would like to hear my part of the show right away, I published the piano version of it on Soundcloud. I would wait until the whole show is done, though — gotta watch out for spoilers!

Turning Tumbleweeds Radio Bumper

This assignment’s radio bumper corresponds with my group’s show, Turning Tumbleweeds. The intention in this clip was to sound more like Danny Keys, the character I will be using within the show, so hopefully my voice came across as deep and different enough to be apart from my own.

I found the background music and wind on Freesound and organized the bumper together in Audacity. Up to this point, I feel like I have made significant progress in making effective audio for assignments. Hopefully I can reflect that while creating my part of the radio show!

Piano Lessons

This radio commercial came out of an assignment that requested the creation of a commercial advertising a product we would like others to know about. In order to work this into my group’s radio show, I made a commercial for my character, Danny Keys, whose only real goods and services is his piano-playing. So, I figured who doesn’t like a good piano lesson?

I may have cheated with the audio a bit on this project. Instead of compiling audio from Freesound, I went ahead and used an audio clip from Purple Planet, which has royalty free music available for free download and usage with the appropriate credit. The background music in this commercial is their “Piano Bar” composition, which was too perfect to pass up for this assignment. I would love to be able to make this kind of musical mix at some point, but for now I thought it would just be more productive to use the resources available to me. The composition was layered with the spoken piece in Audacity.

Tumbling Along

This week so far has been full of planning and organizing on the part of my group. We started off by just getting together and trying to work out ideas in a Google Doc, with pages upon pages of ideas and jumbled up thoughts. Once our group was established, we agreed on meeting in the Doc on Tuesday night, since none of our schedules aligned well enough to have an in-person meeting.

The document was cleared out and set to be better organized for the sake of more easily discussing our ideas. Unfortunately, most of us could not make the meeting at the appropriate time, so those who were there came up with the plot of the murder mystery and left it for others to read and comment upon. Once everyone got their ideas out, we agreed on who would compile the audio recordings, how we would split up the narratives, and how we were going to write the story. I came upon the task of writing out a loose script around which our story will take place. The deadline for this story is Friday — enough time to ensure that everyone can mull over their ideas over break before we come back and record.

I don’t want to spoil too much, but so far the story of “Turning Tumbleweeds” is based around the murder of a saloon owner by the name of Johnny. The story will unfold in a series of interviews from those who knew the victim and saw him on the day of the murder, and the wives of the two co-sheriffs collect their narratives in order to find out what really happened. Hopefully all goes well!

In the meantime, all of us are working on radio bumpers and commercials for this week’s assignments in order to get a feel for our characters and voices before the big recording. Mine will come about tomorrow — all I have to do is record and compile the audio now.

Turning Tumbleweeds: Coming Soon

Promo Poster

Here is the promo poster I created for my group’s Western Murder Mystery, “Turning Tumbleweeds”.

A major part of the work that went into this poster was primarily finding a working title for the show itself. I had colored and edited the images and worked out the wording of everything else the day before my group had settled on a title for the show. Once the title was chosen, I had to rearrange the phrases and titles to make it look appealing at all angles. I put special focus into making sure there was enough balance in the color as well as the wording so that the important parts stuck out from a distance, but the whole poster was legible and easy to follow up close.

Personally I’m very excited for the prospect of making this radio show come to life, but we still have lots to work out. The title and poster is only the beginning!